Sunday, January 02, 2005

Happy Knew Year

Was what was shouted from rooftops,
What they laughed in the streets,
Drunken celebration, hopeful kisses
And the possibilities that maybe this year
Would find a new way to live
One, no doubt, less in self-imposed exile,
Procrastination, inebriation (ah, yes, the irony), self-flagellation
The world a proverbial oyster,
On a string, as the song says,
Swung around and around
While we all held on,
Hoping we wouldn't fall off,
Delighted that gravity would not set in until morning.

I am willing to try to recall
All the events of a spotted past,
Divide them by all of the uncertain possibilites of the future,
Add my Karma
Multiply them by my dreams
Subtract my fears
And find a sum total of all that I can really be for this year onward.

I wish the same for you, my dear
As you walk home,
Your gait broken, your mind restless,
Disheveled in your mind's tempest
Scattered in your body's pain;
You are light incarnate if you choose to be
Your soul's beauty like the moonbeams in the rain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home